43221 Darlington, Queen Elizabeth

43221 Darlington, Queen Elizabeth

Friday 4 February 2011

Costume and Props




Firstly i thought about how i want my models to look, i used a template to draw a basic figure and then designed an outfit that would suit the model and the genre of my magazine. I used the internet to also research different trends that would work for my model.








I have made some mood boards using pictures of clothing i found on websites such as topshop, topman, dorothy perkins, river island and new look. Looking at the different items of clothing i have come up with ideas of what i want my model to wear and whether this will be appropriate for my magazine genre.

For Ashleigh i have chosen costume such as nice, fashionable dresses and high heels. This costume needs to attract the reader straight away because she will be shown on the magazine's front cover.The dresses are quite dark colours, this could connote she, and her music, are naughty but nice: this intrigues the audience and makes them want to read more about her.

Steph will be shown on the contents page of my magazine, her costume is smart, but casual. She will look relaxed and comfortable with herself which is key for the music industry. This look will also present her as a role model than people can idolise and look up to.

The double page spread of my magazine will feature a duet boy band; their costume will be very casual and relaxed yet on trend and appealing to the male audience as well as the female audience. The costume of the two artists will also represent the genre of music they play. The clothing of all the modes can also all be found on the high street which suggests you don't need to spend a lot of money to look good, my magazine will reinforce this idea.





I have taken pictures of clothes either owned by me or my models to give me an idea of the costume i have access to. The costume i will use will follow my previous ideas suggested by the mood boards. The clothes will attract the audience as something they would like to wear and feel comfortable in.
I will use props such as a microphone and a guitar in my pictures. The microphone will be used on the contents page with Steph and the guitar will be used on the double page spread with Brad and Liam, i will also consider sing a handheld microphone as a prop for my double page spread. Both props reinforce the musical feel about the magazine and interest the audience to something a bit different to the current mainstream music which is very 'electric-fied'.

The costumes i will use will either belong to me or my model or i will source appropriate clothing from charity shops, this way i can get the clothes i need at a low price. I will borrow the props from the music or performance department for my photo shoot.







I tried various costumes on my models to see what would work best for my photoshoots. The costumes were all owned either by myself or the model so i didn't need to buy anything additional. For Ashleigh, the 'going out' look would work really well for the front cover, I have chosen to do a shoot with the light blue and black dress, the long sleeved blue one covers too much skin and would make the page look quite dark. Gold bangles on her arms work well with the photo and add to the dressy, smart look. For Steph i have chosen a more casual approach to the outfit, this comforts the audience, however she still looks smart and fun. I think prop such as a microphone would be suitable in this picture.

No comments: